The project involves the completion of significant upgrades to the structures and systems that treat wastewater from a combined sewage treatment system. Some of the project elements include improvements to the plant bar screens, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and controls and instrumentation upgrades, new screening and control buildings, new barge facilities and site work. The plant is undergoing a major capital improvement and upgrade program to expand its intended capacity from 1.2 to 1.8 cubic meters per day – a 50% increase. Process improvements will result in dramatic reductions of biochemical oxygen demand (BOD), and will help bring NYC into compliance with the secondary treatment standards required under the Clean Water Act.
- Resident Engineering inspection
- Coordination and direction of multiple site contractors underway si multaneously
- Coordination of upgrade work with ongoing WPCP operations
- Cost and schedule tracking and control for the various subcontracts and integration to a Master Schedule
- QA inspection of work for compliance with work plans and applicable codes and standards
- Constructability reviews
- Review of contractor requests for payment
- Change order management
- Abatement and hazardous waste management
- Permitting and compliance
- Safety and risk management
- Environmental monitoring and development of impact mitigation and control plans for storm water, dust suppression, asbestos and lead airborne particles, construction noise and vibration, traffic and pedestrian plans, and hazardous waste manifests
- Review and filing of as-built drawings / Review of contractor work plans including safety plans
Contractors in multiple disciplines were being supervised by CM team for replacement of pumps, electrical demolition and installation of new systems, a new controls system, HVAC modifications, plumbing, structural and site work. The project cost and schedule progress has been tracked by CM team including trends and variances from budget, and routinely shared with NYCDEP to ensure a shared vision of project status and to avoid surprises.
Point of Contact Name:
Shaw/Baker/Gannet Fleming JV
329 Green point Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11222
Lynda Tollner, PE, PMP