The construction phasing has been conducted in two phases. Phase I included most of the improvements to the main plant wastewater treatment processes, including improvements to the plant headworks which will increase the plant’s peak wet weather hydraulic capacity to two times design dry weather flow. Phase II included upgrading of sludge treatment and step feed biological nitrogen removal (BNR) treatment of CSOs may be included in a future phase. Phase II facilities was designed to provide land for construction of high-level nitrogen removal or CSO treatment facilities at Hunts Point in the future.
The construction of the project consisted of two phase, which are listed below.
Phase: I construction will include the following improvements:
- Improvements to the plant headworks including a new forebay throttling gate chamber, modifications to existing influent and secondary screens, and an upgrading of the main sewage pump station
- Upgrading of the primary sludge pumping and degritting facilities
- Upgrading of facilities for pumping return and waste sludge
- Installation of an automated scum collection system for the settling tanks
- A new centralized facility for handling plant residual solids.
- Personnel and storage additions to the existing Main Building
- A computerized plant monitoring and control system
- New odor control systems for the central residuals handing facility and primary effluent channel.
- New Administration Building
- Electrical Sub-Stations
- Pump Building, Chlorination Building & Centrate Building
Phase II will included the following improvements:
- (6) Emergency Generators with complete Fuel Oil System
- (114) Submersible Mixers
- (113) Sluice and Slide Gates
- (8) 16,000 gallon NaOH Storage Tanks with pumps
- (2) 1,200 gallon Polymer Storage Tanks with Blenders & Pumps
- (6) 2,700 HP Centrifugal Blowers rated at 8,000 scfm each
- (3) 350 HP Rotary Blowers rated at 8,000 scfm each
- 400 MGD Aeration System comprised of trestle, piping, valves, diffusers, related instrumentation and all testing
Point of Contact Name:
One Penn Plaza, Suite 610
New York, NY 10119
Steve Moore, CM