The Hunts Point Waste Water Treatment Plant (WWTP) is located on the shore of the upper East River in the Hunts Point section of the borough of the Bronx in New York City and serves approximately 685,000 local residents. The Hunt Point WPCP Upgrade Program is a multi-phase modernization program intended to improve waste water plant process efficiency, reduce plant manpower requirements, improve plant reliability and maintain compliance with all applicable permit requirements and Consent Orders. New York City has entered into a New York State SPDES Administrative Consent Order of a Biological Nitrogen Reduction (BNR) Agreement. Required under this Order is the retrofitting of existing waste water treatment units that will reduce nitrogen loadings into the adjacent East River and Long Island Sound.
Techno-Consult, Inc. and Michael Baker Engineering, in Joint Venture, is providing Construction Management Services for construction work under NYC DEP’s Construction Contract HP-4 (Hunts Point - Phase 4) for all structures and equipment work required for a new $10 million Carbon Addition Facility located within the Hunts Point 24-7 operational WPCP. The purpose of this facility is to add a supplemental carbon source, glycerol, to the waste water flow to enhance de-nitrification, as required under the BNR Consent Order.
Major aspects of the construction scope of work are:
- Replacing four (4) existing Sodium Hydroxide (caustic) Storage Tanks in the Alkalinity Building with three (3) new Glycerol Storage Tanks.
- Modifying piping connections to these four tanks and install a new Glycerol Feed Pump System, a new Glycerol Mixing / transfer pump system and new sump pumps.
- Installing new flow meters, flow control valves, piping, insulations, and heat tracing to distribute glycerol to the aeration tanks.
- Constructing a new firewall to isolate the glycerol storage tanks from the rest of the building.
- Installing a new automatic foam fire suppression system for the glycerol storage area, including a new fire water main to the building
- Performing associated electrical, instrumentation, control and HVAC work.
Point of Contact Name:
Matthew Osit, PE
NYC DEP Bureau of Engineering,
Design & Construction